Caribbean Fever - Your ONLY destination to all things Caribbean and more
Decades before Michael Jackson passed away from a drug overdose, his former maid says workers at his Los Angeles estate had found the singer 'dead' on two separate occasions.
According to revelations made by Adrian McManus, who worked as Jackson's personal maid in the 1990s, she and other staffers on the Neverland estate would come upon the singer passed out after taking dozens of pills prescribed by his medical staff, who would spend hours locked in a room with the singer.
Speaking to the Mirror Sunday, McManus recalled one occasion in 1993 when she knocked on the door to Jackson's room but received no response.
Bombshell claims: Michael Jackson's (left) former maid Adrian McManus (right) revealed that his staff would sometimes find the singer passed out and looking 'dead' after taking drugs
The housekeeper went in and discovered the pop star lying on the bed motionless with his eyes open. McManus recalled that Jackson was very pale and appeared not to be breathing.
'My heart sank as I thought he was dead. I called his name for several minutes,' she told the British paper. 'I feared that he was gone for ever, but then he came to suddenly. He didn’t say a word, but burst into tears.'
The maid considered calling for help but didn't because she had been warned in the past by Jackson not to involve 'outsiders' in the goings on in his estate.
A few weeks after this incident, McManus said the singer's security guard discovered him motionless at the edge of a swimming pool.
The sentry thought his famous employer was dead after he was unable to detect a pulse, so he called his colleague who revived Jackson by performing CPR, the paper reported.
'Michael made his guards train in CPR so they knew what to do,' McManus explained.
'Drug den': The housekeeper recalled that in the 1990s Jackson would keep bags full of drugs in the house and in his wardrobes
Describing the scene at the Neverland ranch in the 1990s, McManus revealed that Jackson's palatial home was clattered with bags crammed with drugs, which were also scattered in bottles among his clothes.
'It is a shock that people didn’t realize he had such issues, as it was common knowledge in the 1990s,' McManus told the Mirror.
Harsh words: McManus said that Jackson's drug addiction was well known among his employees, calling the signer a 'messed up, depraved' junkie s who was 'manipulative and demonic'
'Michael was not a pop hero, but a messed-up, depraved junkie, who was manipulative, twisted and demonic. I still have nightmares thinking about Neverland.'
This is not the first time that Jackson's former staffers have come out with tales of drug abuse by the singer.
In 2008, TMZ reported that another one of Jackson's housekeepers, Kristina Fournier, told law enforcement in 1993 that she saw syringes on the Nederland property and spoke about doctors coming and going into the house.
Fournier said it was 'well-known' among the staff that Jackson had a drug addiction problem and would often go through 'bad periods.’
'His eyes were rolling in the back of his head and he wouldn't know what he was talking about,' she maid said at the time.
McManus spoke out about her experiences working for the 'King of Pop' one day before Jackson’s ' mother, Katherine, is expected to file a $40billion wrongful death lawsuit against the concert promoter AEG Live.
The suit claims that the company that was in charge of Jackson's 2009 This Is It tour was negligent in hiring Dr Conrad Murray to oversee the singer's medical care as he prepare for the show.
The 50-year-old singer died on June 25, 2009, from a lethal dose of the anesthetic Propopol that was administered by Murray. In 2011, the physician was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
Legal action: Jackson's mother, Katherine, is expected to file a $40million wrongful death lawsuit against the concert promoter AEG Live
Lawyers acting for Jackson's children, Paris, Prince Michael, and Blanket, and their grandmother Katherine, 82, contend that pressure from AEG led to Jackson’s death from an overdose of surgical anesthetic in June 2009, two weeks before his This Is It concerts were to begin at the O2 Arena in London.
After a judge ruled that there was sufficient evidence to warrant a jury trial, the family’s lawyer Kevin Boyle said: ‘The truth about what happened to Michael, which AEG has tried to keep hidden from the public since the day Michael died, is finally emerging.
‘We look forward to the trial where the rest of the story will come to light.’
The family are demanding $10.2billion for loss of future earnings by Jackson, and nearly $40billion in other damages.
Manslaughter: Jackson's personal doctor Dr Conrad Murray is serving a four-year prison sentence after being found guilty of manslaughter in 2011
Friends: Michael Jackson with his chimp, Bubbles
Ruling: Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos ruled in February that the Jackson family lawyers had shown enough evidence to warrant a trial
AEG, which denies any liability for the star’s death, says the huge figure is based on speculation and that Jackson’s career was on a downward spiral.
Legal analysts say the billions being claimed are unlikely to be awarded and are a legal tactic to get publicity for the case.
A senior AEG lawyer said the company would argue at the civil trial, which is expected to last two to three months, that Jackson’s addiction to prescription drugs made him responsible for his own death.
The company is also likely to bring up Jackson’s ‘shopping’ for doctors to prescribe him drugs, as well as his acquittal on child molestation charges.
In a TV documentary to be broadcast on Friday, AEG lawyer Marvin Putnam says: ‘I don’t know how you can’t look to Mr Jackson’s responsibility. He was a grown man.
‘Mr Jackson is a person who was known to doctor-shop. He was known to be someone who would tell one doctor one thing and another doctor something else.’
He said Jackson’s 2005 child molestation trial was relevant because it ‘resulted in an incredible increase in his drug intake’.
‘We’re talking about Michael Jackson,’ adds Mr Putnam. ‘This is a man who would show up in pajamas.
‘This is a man who would go to public events with a monkey named Bubbles.’
At Murray’s trial it emerged that the doctor was paid $155,000 a month to help Jackson get enough rest to perform at the O2.
But AEG will argue that Murray was hired by Jackson, not the promoter.