Caribbean Fever - Your ONLY destination to all things Caribbean and more
Kate Spade has been found dead inside her Manhattan apartment.
The popular designer, who shot to fame with her line of eponymous purses, is believed to have committed suicide.
Spade, 55, left a note before taking her own life by hanging and was discovered by her housekeeper.
She is survived by her husband Andy, who is the brother of actor David Spade, and her 13-year-old daughter Frances. Kate was also the aunt of Rachel Brosnahan, the star of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel.
American icon: Kate Spade was found dead at the age of 55 in her Park Avenue apartment on Tuesday (Spade above in 2004)
Family: She is survived by her husband Andrew (above in 2017), who is the brother of actor David Spade, and her 13-year-old daughter Frances
Scene: The designer left a note before taking her own life by hanging and was discovered by her housekeeper just after 10am (exterior of her apartment building above)
Kate and her husband launched their design line back in 1993, starting at first with just handbags before expnading to clothes and other accessories.
Three years in the couple was able to open their first store, and for the next decade continue to grow the company.
She has launched international and home lines by 2004, having by that point sold off most of her company.
Neiman Marcus purchased 56 percent of the company in 1999 and the remaining 44 percent by 2006, at which time Kate left the business to raise her daughter.
Kate had just recently tried to reenter the fashion worked in 2016 with the launch of Frances Valentine, a line of luxury handbags and shoes.
In the decade since she sold her ownership Kate Spade has continued to grow, and in 2017 the brand was purchased by coach for an astonishing $2.4 billion.
She was twice honored by the Council of Fashion Designers of America in 1996 as an emerging accessories designer to watch and again in 1998 as the best accessories designer of the year.
That same group held its annual gala and awards show on Monday in Brooklyn, which Spade did not attend.
She was born Kate Brosnahan in Kanasas City, where she attended an all-girls sc hool before heading off to college at the Univeristy of Kansas.
Kate decided to transfer to Arizona State University and study journalism, which is where she met her husband.
She graduated in 1985 and spent the next six years working for Mademoiselle in New York City, eventually landing herself the role of senior fashion editor.
In 1991 she left the magazine and decided to go out on her own with a line of purses, believing there was a gap in the market she could fill.
If you or anyone you know needs to talk, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 at 1-800-273-TALK (8255)